Monday, June 30, 2014

Behold our homemade granola!!!

Hi everyone!
I hope you are all doing fabulously!
You know how I only post one or two pictures on my blog. Not very nice ones!! (Sorry I don't have a good camera!) I know if you are like me you would probably prefer a step by step pictures of the recipes. You know why I don't do that? First of all, because it will take too much time, and I don't have too much time to spend on blogging. Secondly, because.....hmmmmm......hmmmmm I make a real mess when I cook. So you don't really want to see pictures as I am cooking. Ufff finally I said it!!!! Now, whatever it's said on the blog stays on the blog. No one is allowed to tease me about it outside the blog. After all even if I make a mess, I am the one who cleans it! So, at least I clean my own mess, right?

Ok now back to the topic of this blog. I love granola. I think it's much healthier than normal store cereal. I wanted to make my own granola for a long time because it's fairly easy, but I hadn't found the perfect recipe. Now I have and I want to share it with you. I didn't make that up, so I don't take any credit for it. I found it on a book.

Here is the recipe:

Power Granola
4 c old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 c raw pumpkin seeds
3/4 c unsalted raw sunflower seeds
1 c sliced ublanched almonds
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 c powdered nonfat dry milk
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c sunflower oil (I used coconut oil)
1/2 c maple syrup
1/2 c honey
1/2 c apricots
1/2 c dried figs
1/2 c golden raisins
1/2 c raisins
(or 2 c dried fruit of choice)

Stir together oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, wheat germ, dry milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla. Set aside.
Combine oil, maple syrup and honey in a small saucepan and cook, stirring over. Don't let to boil, otherwise honey will lose all its nutrients.
Pour over oat mixture and toss with hands or wooden spoon until ingredients are moistened. Spread mixture on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. Stir the mixture once. When edges are brown remove from heat.
Loosen in pan in chunks and add dried fruit. Store in plastic freezer bag or airtight tin.
9 cups. Each 1/4 c serving: 191 calories, 10 mg sodium, 20 mg cholesterol, 10 g fat, 23 gr carbohydrates, 5 gr protein, 0.78 gr fiber.


 I ate my first bowl with some almond milk. Feel free to add chia seeds or flax seeds or fresh fruit or whatever your heart wants.


Follow apearlinoyster on instagram to be the first to know what I am going to post next.

Have a lovely week!

Warmly,
Juliana



No comments:

Post a Comment