Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dinner tonight was.... a real SUCCESS

Today we had a busy and fun day. Perla had an appointment to the dentist and than we hang out with a friend and her child. When we came home, we were both a little tired and lied to take a nap. I was concerned that I might not wake up on time to make dinner. But dinner was finished right when my husband walked in the door. And you know what he said? He said that he had smelled the food from downstairs (we are in the second floor). Well, I don't believe that he smelled it from that far but the house surely smelled great.
I had planned to make for today an eggplant dish. Here are some pictures of how it turned out and the recipe will be below the pictures.

Right out of the oven

My plate, Perla ate the same amount as me :-) hubby had double

Eggplant Parmesan

1 large globe eggplant
1 1/2 c  tomato sauce (I used a little bit more sauce, I wanted more layers)
1 c mozzarella
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
1/2 c whole wheat flout
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 c milk
2 1/2 c soda crackers, crumbled (I didn't have crackers, so I used bread crumbs)
dash of pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Cut eggplant into 1/4-inch rounds. Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Now the eggs and milk in another bowl, and lastly the cracker crumbs and pepper in another bowl. now take an eggplant slice and dip both sides in flour mixture, then the egg mixture and lastly the cracker crumbs. Repeat with all the eggplant. Layer in a 9*13-inch glass dish. Te slices may overlap, but shouldn't cover each other completely.
Sprinkle each layer with tomato sauce mixture and Parmesan cheese. cover tightly and bake 30 to 45 minutes or until fork pierces middle sliced easily. Top with mozzarella and a little more Parmesan. Return uncovered to oven just until cheese melts. Serve immediately.

Tomato Sauce:

1/2 onion 
1 clove garlic
2 tbs green pepper, chopped
2 tbsp oil
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2 c tomatoes (fresh or canned, but I used fresh)
1/2 c tomato paste (I used tomato sauce)
1 tsp salt

Saute the onion and garlic in oil until onion is soft. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for half an hour. Remove bay leaf.

I hope you enjoy it!

Warmly,
Juliana

1 comment: