Thursday, August 28, 2014

Chickpea and vegetable curry with quinoa

I hope everyone is doing well!

Today I want to share with you the first Indian/ Southeastern Asian recipe ever cooked in our home. I don't really like Southeastern Asian food. I think the flavor of their food is really strong and I like simple flavors in my food. Anyway, my husband loves Indian food, so I thought to give it a try, at least just for him. After trying this rather simple recipe, I was hooked. I couldn't stop smelling at the sauce and I was texting my husband pictures and telling him how good this sauce smelled. Needless to say he loved it too.

So, here you go! The recipe was taken from the link here.

Chickpea and vegetable curry with quinoa
Ingredients
  • 1 can coconut milk (13.5 fl oz or 400 mL)
  • 1 can chick peas (15 oz)
  • 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon red curry paste
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon or more brown sugar
  • 1 quarter lemon squeezed or more
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon basil
  • 1 bunch spinach, cleaned (I didn't have any spinach when I made this recipe. We rarely are without spinach, but this happen to be that day.)
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cups sliced mushrooms
  • salt to taste
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups water
Instructions
  1. Heat coconut milk in a large pan until it boils and reduce heat to simmer. Add next 7 ingredients to the coconut milk: chickpeas, red curry paste, tomato paste, brown sugar, lemon juice, chili powder, basil. Mix everything together until even consistency.
  2. Add spinach, chopped green onions and sliced mushrooms to the coconut milk mixture, bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  3. In a separate pan, combine 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked and fluffy.
  4. Note: If you like your curry a bit runny, add a little bit of water in the end to reach the desired consistency. If reheating the next day, you will likely have to add a touch of water to the curry as it will thicken overnight in the refrigerator.
  5. To serve, place a scoop of quinoa into the middle of each plate. Top with chickpea curry.



Sorry for the quality of the pictures, they don't do justice to the food. This recipe was a bomb. Let me know if you try it. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Warmly,

Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment