Saturday, January 25, 2014

Two dinner recipes for less than $10

I have been trying to stay consistent with the days I post on my blog, but this week it has been harder to stay on track. We own two half laptops. I say half because no one of them really works. Since my husband has homework, I wanted him to use the more functional laptop to do homework and to take with him to school. But to make up for that I am posting two very easy, cheap, and delicious dinner recipes. 

The first one is a Mixed Mushroom Rice. You can find the recipe here.



I made mine more like a risotto. The difference between normal rice and risotto is that for the risotto you add the water (should be hot) little by little and let the rice absorb the liquid before you add again (about 30sec) stirring continually. I topped mine with parsley, olive oil and feta cheese.

The second recipe is a Corn casserole. This is super quick and easy to make. You can find the recipe here.



As you can see, I have topped my casserole with french fried onions that I made myself. They are actually baked so they are not cooked with too much oil. This was so good.

Now, if you know us, you will know that we love onions and garlic. I cook almost anything with onions and garlic. Now a few facts about these "Healing Foods".
They might wreak havoc on your breath, but these two herbs, can do wonders for your health. In order to reap the benefits of fresh garlic. you have got to eat it raw, as any cooking dramatically reduces its disease-fighting activity. And don't eat the cloves whole, garlic's active constituent is created when the enzyme is released by chopping or crushing the cloves and exposing them to air for more than ten minutes. Studies show that both onions and garlic contain sulfur compounds that can help with diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. 
I would encourage you all to try and implement these two herbs in your daily cooking. Onions are easier, I think, to implement, but you can add garlic to everything you cook with onions. As for eating them raw, use onions on salads, and use garlic on tzatziki, hummus, salsa etc.

I hope you are staying warm, and are enjoying the weekend!

Warmly,
~Juliana~

No comments:

Post a Comment